How to Create a Viral Hit
Jennie Lund is Web Editor at West Sweden Tourist Board and she gave us some insights about how they manage to create content that went viral on Facebook. If you want to learn more about content and ways to engage with your visitors be sure to join us for this year Content | Campus on the 30th & 31st of March in Copenhagen⌛️Early Bird tickets expire 10th of February⌛️
How do you create Facebook content that attracts more followers, increases engagement and spreads organically? And how do you use Facebook’s algorithm and write posts that grabs interest, promotes further reading and encourages visitors to book and visit West Sweden and its attractions?
These were the questions we asked ourselves when our Facebook posts were having less impact and engagement with our content was wavering.
Sponsoring posts and ads would have been one way to go, but we decided to try something new and put more effort into producing content with West Sweden’s companies, destinations and our forty-nine tourism organisations, with the aim of it spreading organically.
We decided to create an Advent calendar on Facebook (facebook.com/vastsverige) and join forces with the tourism industry in the region to create viral content. During the period December 1st – 24th, 2016 a new window was opened in the calendar each day offering competitions and prizes sponsored by companies and attractions in the region.
We reached out to some one hundred companies in the region to ask them if they wanted to get involved. The response was overwhelming; we had attracted sponsors for all of the windows within a couple of days. The prizes included spa packages, hotel accommodation, meals and kayaking trips.
Why we created the Advent calendar:
- Attract more fans to West Sweden’s Facebook page
- Increase awareness/promote destination West Sweden
- Increase awareness/promote the companies and attractions sponsoring the competitions
- Attract more followers and promote bookings and visits to our attractions
Working with companies and attractions we created content consisting of the following elements:
- Attractive images and texts
- Links to their presentation pages on www.vastsverige.com
- A link (@tag) on the company/attraction Facebook page
To compete for prizes the visitor had to tell us why they should win a prize and tag (optional) someone who they would like to share the prize with, as well as liking the post to increase the number of shares.
The competition was marketed and promoted on www.vastsverige.com, as well as in our newsletter, on Instagram and on Facebook. We also sent out marketing material to tourism organisations, companies and attractions and our partners in West Sweden, and informed our own organisation and asked them to share our posts. Each competition post was sponsored by a donation of SEK 1,000 but it was thanks to the help we received in sharing the posts that they went viral.
The response to the Advent calendar exceeded our expectations and all the parties involved are more than happy with the results and the fantastic statistics.
Collated results for Advent calendar/competition posts
- 1,530,166 people were reached by posts
- 8,681 shares
- 11,096 comments/entrants
- 88,694 post clicks
- 2,000 new followers on West Sweden Facebook page
Other positive effects included:
- Marketing/awareness: We found out from the comments that many of the entrants to the competition were discovering the companies and attractions for the first time and tagged friends to book upcoming holidays and trips.
- Continued engagement and new followers: With new fans and increased interest in West Sweden we experienced an increase in engagement and spread of our content even after the campaign was over.
- New competition: To meet the interest and engagement from the companies and attractions involved we will be running a new and similar campaign during the Easter period, but over a shorter timeframe.
If you would like to know more about West Sweden, or how we designed the Advent calendar, go to facebook.com/vastsverige (in Swedish). If you would like to know more about West Sweden and all of its fantastic destinations visit www.westsweden.com or follow us on Instagram @westsweden and Facebook – www.facebook.com/GothenburgWestSweden.
Discussioncomments powered by Disqus
More from #DTTT
- In March we present:Getting Started with Going Live
Going live is a mindset change for organsiations – because it involves communication across disciplines. Here’s a foolproof process for getting started with going live.#going live #facebook live #live-marketing #Instagram #Snapchat #video marketing
- In March we present:Wonderful Copenhagen’s 2020 Strategy
Wonderful Copenhagen is one of the cities that are true digital leaders and recently published their new 2020 strategy. With a bold statement, “The King is Dead! Wonderful Copenhagen concludes the Era of Tourism as we know it” their strategy is combining fresh digital & city marketing thinking ready to take on the digital era. We interviewed Nicolai […]#visit-copenhagen #localhood #2020-strategy #content marketing #dmo
- In March we present:Going Live at ITB
On the 8th and 9th of March, we will be streaming several live sessions, featuring a wide range of interviewees, panelists and thought leaders.#trade-show #live-streaming #panels #live-marketing #Berlin #Interviews #ITB #Sojern
- In March we present:Creating Snackable Content for Social Media
The best snacks are short, often sweet, and always satisfying. The same goes for snackable content.#snackable-content #short-form #social-media #content marketing #social media strategy
- In March we present:Wales: Redefining Approaches to the Content Journey
Bryn Halliwell, gave more insights about they’re developing a digital-first philosophy at Visit Wales, where everyone in the Brand Hub has digital responsibility.#visit-wales #digital-hub #digital-first #content-creation #content strategy
- In March we present:Antwerp: Building a City Content Hub
Visit Antwerp on how they champion and advocate a brand new joined-up content strategy for the entire city.#visit-antwerp #content-hub #social-medias #content strategy #storytelling